"Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30:5

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Juneau - First Days!

When I drove off the ferry, I went directly to my sublet.  Sarah is not a morning person and did not offer to meet me at 4:30 a.m.  Can't imagine why!!   The sublet is on Douglas Island about seven miles from Juneau.  I didn't meet Jai, my new roommate, until Tuesday night.  She seems very nice and I think we'll get along great.  The house is a very old "Juneau style" house but the inside is very nice.  The bedrooms are on the first floor with the living area upstairs.  The view is gorgeous!!!  (picture on right)

 After I got the car mostly unpacked, Sarah and her friend, Rosie, took me out for breakfast.  No pictures - I forgot to take my camera but it was good!!!!  I spent the rest of the day unpacking, etc and met Sarah and Rosie for dinner at The Crab Shack.  I am going back soon for King Crab legs.  I walked around downtown on Tuesday and dodged tourists.  There must have been four or five cruise ships in port so lots of people wandering around.  I am truly amazed at all the stores selling fine jewelry and several people have told me they are owned by the cruise companies.








 Sarah came over Tuesday night and we went to the bar/restaurant about half a block from me for some great pizza.


 Wednesday I took a hike (about 5 miles) out in the Valley  and looked around out that direction.  The weather has been great!!!  Sunshine every day since I have been here - along with some rain.  Juneau is in a rain forest so it rains a lot here.  It is also daylight when I go to bed and daylight when I get up:)  I haven't "been in the dark" since I arrived!
                                                          Hiking spot

                                                          Mendenhall Glacier

6 comments:

Peggy said...

Wow! What views!! Absolutely gorgeous photos!

Donna said...

Wow - I read these blogs and think of what a brave and adventurous woman you are! I find it difficult to travel to new and unfamiliar places, and I have the same knot in my stomach for you that I think I would have if it were me. But then your stories and pictures all look like you are having a wonderful time and are really taking on the challenge of finding new places and enjoying them!

I saw Juneau as one of those cruise ship tourists, and I loved it! I seem to remember a quilt shop or a yarn shop or maybe both? Did you ever finish that scarf before you left California?

nitacrow said...

the view and scenery is simply BEAUTIFUL....Be Safe, enjoy and keep the writings coming....I just love it and am so proud of you! Peggy L., you are an amazing person....

Love you Nita

kisses to Sarah

becki-c said...

The view looks stunning! It sounds like it is always bright enough to see it too. So, do you have any trouble adjusting to all that daylight? It sounds perfect for an early morning walk.
Those poor unsuspecting tourists, just feeding money back to those cruise ships...

Leora said...

Wow, look at that glacier! Tell Sarah we say HI.

robyn said...

Wow, wow, wow. Wow. What spectacular scenery! I always wanted to take one of those Alaska cruises, and still do - I'll just avoid the jewelry shops. Do the cruise lines own any fabric shops up there?