"Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30:5

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Crater of the Moon National Historic Site

Taken at a roadside stop - Idaho.
When I left Yakima on Thursday, I drove on the interstate until I got to Mountain Home, Idaho just past Boise.  The terrain really surprised me.  I didn't know this whole area was desert like.  I always pictured Idaho as really green but that is the northern part of the state.   The Oregon Trail also was in this area and there were lots of places I wish I could have visited.  Following the Oregon Trail from St. Louis west sounds like it would be a great vacation.

At Mountain Home, I got off the interstate and took the scenic route over to Crater of the Moon National Historic Site.  Another beautiful drive and the craters were really interesting.  The visitor's center was closed by the time I arrived, but I enjoyed looking around at the formations.

Craters
That night I drove as far as Idaho Falls, Idaho.  The falls were pretty but I just got a quick look as I drove by.  There were lots of visitors in town and I was lucky to get a hotel room.  Matter of fact I got the last one at the hotel I stayed in.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Having missed Idaho on our travels, I'm surprised to see the desert scenery too! Thanks for sharing all the great pics! Travel safely!