"Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30:5

Monday, August 16, 2010

Mount Rushmore National Memorial



After spending the night in Bozeman, MT, I left early so I would have time to go to Mount Rushmore.    It was a beautiful drive through Montana.  It made me wonder what the settlers thought as they crossed in their covered wagons.  I was quite happy in my car with country & western music playing on my iPod.  The speed limit was 75 mph and I paid less than $3.00 a gallon for gas for the first time in months.

Close up of Lincoln
I have wanted to see Mount Rushmore for years but have to admit I was a little disappointed at first.  As I learned more about it and the way it was constructed that disappointment faded.  Really amazing how it was constructed and all the planning that went into it.  Watching the film of the workers hanging off the top of the mountain to set dynamite or polish stone had me covering my eyes:)  That height thing again!!

After seeing the movies and exhibits, I walked on the trail that led closer to the carvings.  You were almost under them and could see more of the detail up close.  I also had a "wildlife" encounter at the end of the trail.


There were motorcyclists everywhere as well since the motorcycle rally in Sturgis was going on.  Amazing number of bikers!  I didn't stop in the town of Keystone because to quote Sarah "I don't do tourists":)  Lots of tourists shops, etc lined both sides of the road.  I did take a shot of the bikes for my brother, Maynard.

Bikes!! (out the car window)

The blog is finally caught up.  The next couple of days I will be homeward bound with plans to meet my brother, Walter, and head to Nashville.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

You go GIRL...bring her on home! I was disappointed at Mt. Rushmore when I first saw it...I don't know..I thought it would be bigger and the anticipation of seeing it took the wonder away...but in the end..I, like you, amazed at the wonder of it all.

yellowdoggranny said...

another one of those places I want to visit..just beautiful...and wow, cool bikes.

Anonymous said...

Yep, looks like you are near a bike rally. Missed Sturgis again! Maybe next year...
Maynard

Peggy K in NC said...

This has been one wonderful travel log of your journey - I loved every post. Don't stop posting as I believe your "journey" is not soon to be over. Love 'ya girlfriend.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm especially appreciating your Mount Rushmore pictures, because when I was there it was so foggy you LITERALLY couldn't see five feet in front of you. Stayed that way the whole time we were there. We didn't bother going to Crazy Horse, since it was the same way.

Love,
Annette