"Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30:5

Monday, May 30, 2011

In the kitchen with Peggy!

The only part of being single I don't enjoy is "cooking for one".  With my sewing, reading, biking, walking, working, etc,  (and visits to/from family and friends)  I stay busy and happy,  but the cooking . . . blah!!!  As many of you know I love to cook,  just not for one.


Cooking Away!!!!
Basil & Rosemary
When I was at Janet and Nick's on Mother's Day, Nick had been cooking most of the day!  He cooks ahead so during the week they have food that is quick and easy to prepare.  The past couple of weeks I have been trying to do the same thing.  For some reason, I had thought of this for families but not for "singles".  It is working great - I cook several things and freeze them for later.  Today is a cooking day.  Right now I have mini-meat loaves in the oven (my sister's recipe); purple hull peas simmering; a couple of chicken breasts poaching for chicken salad; a couple more chicken breasts grilling to add to salads or for whatever; the left-over ground beef is seasoned and cooked for tacos/salad; and bowtie pasta is boiling to be used with the basil pesto I made yesterday.  My herb garden consists of basil and rosemary in a pot and this was my first harvest!  I have tons and should have taken some to Huntsville yesterday - next time!!

The down side of all of this cooking is the clean-up!!!  But with all the cooking and the goodies from the Farmers' Market, I am set for a while!   I'm also going to be on the lookout for some "cooking for one" blogs.


7 comments:

Jillybejoyful said...

Gosh, I'm so with you on the 'cooking for one' thing. I know it's just a matter of time before I'm back to that status too, (although in my case it's the Mumsy I'm cooking for). Even though I sometimes think that some time off from making every meal would sure be nice, the bottom line is that I enjoy the creative process, and definitely tend to eat better when I'm cooking for others as well!

Roz said...

Yummm! Everything looks so good.

Doris W. in TN said...

That is some healthy looking basil!

Cyndi said...

Wow, The basil pesto sounds yummy. I tried cooking ahead and the day long cook fest and the clean up did me in. Need to get back to it though. Your inspiring me.

Anonymous said...

Pesto freezes so well, easy to make single-serving portions. I hope you share other cooking for one and make ahead ideas. I don't hate cooking, just don't feel like it after a day at the office.
--Robyn

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea and all the prepared food sounds delish! Look at your beautiful basil.

Karen in Tn

SewRuthie said...

I'm newly divorced and living alone and also find the cooking for one challenging. I work full time and have a fairly busy social life too. One of my first purchases was a small freezer. So far I seem to live off pizza, pasta with homemade sauce (big batch frozen in portions), fish portions done in the oven, chilli con carne on a baked potato and supermarket ready meal curries.
I would love to read more about your cooking for one recipes, especially things you can freeze.